As a youngster, I only really listened to what my parents listened to. That is, I grew up with great bands like ACDC, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Rush, and the like. The impact bands such as these had on me is pretty ridiculous. For the most part, I stuck with the chirpy up-beat songs, like Jumpin' Jack Flash, Limelight, or Over the Hills and Far Away. As time went by, though, I started listening to some of the heavier/darker stuff, like Pink Floyd (who I don't like all that much), or Black Sabbath. I think the group I listened to the most in my youth was Queen. My whole family would get into songs like Bohemian Rhapsody (overplayed).
Anyway, as time went on, I listened to music less and less. I wouldn't say I drifted away, it just wasn't as much of a priority. I still loved listening to it, it just wasn't what I jumped to do when I came home. Life went pretty well, but something was missing. It just wasn't the same.
So now I have chosen to retrace my steps. For the past few months, I have been reaquainting myself with the music of my youth. Lots of Led Zeppelin, lots of Queen, lots of lots of it. I've really begun to appreciate some of the songs that I skipped over when I was younger. For example, Who Wants to Live Forever is now my favorite Queen song. I also listen to more contemporary stuff. I dabble in groups like Underoath, All Time Low, and a couple other newer groups. I also listen to a lot of Counting Crows (specifically Mr. Jones)
I recommend that everyone branch out of their typical auditory sensations. Try something new and different, treat your senses. I even listen to a little bit of rap, everything deserves a chance

No comments:
Post a Comment